Friday 16 May 2008

Repast Simphony "no-GUI" Tutorial

UPDATE (7th March 2013): The link below doesn't work any longer but as the new Repast tutorials have been improved I don't intend to update it. Have a look at the Repast homepage.

I've been using Repast Simphony to build my agent-based crime model. Repast is a tool kit which has lots of really useful functions for organising agents, creating displays, scheduling events, working with GIS data, drawing charts, outputting data etc. Although Simphony is excellent I think there's quite a steep learning curve so I've written a short (1 hour) tutorial which will hopefully help to get people started:

http://portal.ncess.ac.uk/access/wiki/site/mass/simphony%20tutorial.html

Simphony now has a GUI which you can use to build models (the main tutorial goes through how to use this) but I've avoided this, preferring to program models directly.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nick, your tutorial is surely helpful. I also intend to use Repast for my research and I am a real beginner.

Cheers,
Hans

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Kamal said...

Hi Nick,
I am new to this whole agent based modeling. I am really interested. I tried the GUI but your tutorial seems easier. However, I could not get it implemented. Of Course, I don't have much of a programming background. Problem occurs after creating the first context (peopleContext), under the superclass, I get a tag T (is it for title or tag??) appended once I browse it typing "DefaultContext". It creates error when i run it and afterwards. It might be very stupid question but i am interested in learning it. I am thinking about phd work in some agent based GIS modelling area down the road. I think this is a good start.

Thanks,
Kamal

Nick Malleson said...

Hi Kamal,
Sorry you couldn't get the tutorial working, I'm not sure what the cause of the error might be. I suggest starting again (the tutorial should work if you've followed the instructions exactly) and emailing me if it still doesn't work.
Nick

Gracie Itegboje said...

Hi Nick,

I am a beginner of Repast and I need to learn it for my project but unfortunately the link you provided is broken. I cannot access the tutorial. I need your help.

Thanks
Gracie

Nick Malleson said...

Hi Miz,
Sorry about that. I've updated the post now to say that as the Repast tutorials have been improved I wont maintain my old tutorial. Have a look at the Repast website.
Nick